Thursday, March 18, 2010

Technology's little curse

I love it, really I do. I love that my phone serves as my GPS, calendar, banker and main source of communication be it text, phone, googletalk or email. I understand that many people are very connected. I have a blog and a facebook account, a junk email, regular email and work email. I subscribe to on-line newsletters and alerts for updates and I shop and pay my bills on-line. I get it, we communicate this way, we are all on line this is how we live.


HOWEVER... when did people start asking people out on dates in text messages?!?!?!?!? Maybe a part of me is still old fashioned and looks for the face to face encounter or even a phone call: a phone call never hurt anyone did it? It's just that I've been asked out on dates on two separate occasions, by two separate men via text. And it's always right to the chase. No small talk to warm up to asking or subtle flirting, just "hey want to catch dinner Friday with me?" And for the first date it just feels impersonal. Really, for me first impressions are hard to get past...(I'm really hoping that the most recent doesn't read this!)

I don't know... is it too much to ask? Is it just a way to avoid rejection on their part? I'm trying to decide if I should just go with it or continue to think that it is tacky. I am going on the date because being asked out is just that, regardless of the form of asking.

Sigh. Thoughts? Please share your support on either side! Although I can tell you that I'm already pretty firm in my feeling on it.

2 comments:

kim said...

I agree, that's tacky. And weird. But, then again, I only figured out texting last year, and have only done it a handful of times, so maybe I'm not the right judge.

I could totally understand it for subsequent dates, but the first one or two, it just seems like it should be a little bigger deal. You do have to put yourself out there a little bit to date, and texting someone like that seems so abrupt and impersonal. But I guess if that is your main form of communication, maybe it wouldn't seem that way. So probably good you're giving him the benefit of the doubt and going--I'm sure to the average high schooler who texts a hundred times a day, they would think nothing of that.

Hillary Bellus said...

Thank you Kim. It just seems like a cop-out. I really dis-like texting...