Friday, April 30, 2010

Shot put


Tonight I volunteered at the Arizona Special Olympic games and was stationed at the shot put field. I thought about so many things as I was there the first being how patient everyone is with the special souls. We come and we volunteer our time; we cheer and support them in their events, hoping that they might all win. I see the effort that so many of the athletes put forth and their excitement just to participate and it makes me wish that we all treated each other the same way, cheering each other on and supporting one another with genuine love. I always leave any experience that I have with the Special Olympics happier and full of love just by seeing their examples.

The second thing that I noticed and was impressed with was the officials dedication to the rules. Those that continue to nationals have the chance to go to worlds in Greece and of course there are rules to the games but it is all taken very seriously. If rules aren't followed then the athlete is disqualified, no second chances. I realized tonight that this is an important life lesson for all of us, regardless of ability.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so cool that you volunteered for that. I bet it was fun.
Oh, and BTW, I LOVE cereal too. The best.

And are you gonna tell us why you are in trrrouubblle??