Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Soap-boxing

I felt inspired by some dum dum today that called my house to make this weeks posts a daily soap box.

Today's is about phone etiquette. Some guy called my house phone from the bank where my mom keeps track of my grandma's money stuffs. He's called before I'm sure and it seems like they are on a familiar first name basis because when I answered with "hello" he said, "Noelle?"

Me (irritated already): "Nope"
Him (quietly): "Ummm do I have the wrong number"
Me (same): "Nope, you just guessed the wrong person"
Him (catching on): "Is she there"
Me: "Nope"
Him: something about calling her back... blah blah yadda yadda yadda

Seriously, is it so hard to ask for someone by name, even if you know that they will most likely answer the phone?! And it was a land line. For real.

Yes, I might have been short with him and yes, I could have been more helpful and forthcoming with information and yes I know that my mother is the only one who usually answers the phone during the day and I do sound just like her... but I don't care. If you are calling in regards to business on a phone line that is not a personal line for that person, ask for them. It is just polite. Or use a full sentence. "Is Noelle there?" or "May I please speak with Noelle?" I would have even been okay with "is this Noelle?" but I guess I just need to be more patient.

No comments: