Wednesday, October 17, 2007

train strikes

The French are known for their ability to strike. This coming weekend (Wednesday Oct 17th thru Saturday Oct 20th) they have planned a strike. (I do have to say that it is very nice of them to let us know in advance.) Anyway, this would not be that big of a deal to me because I don't need to take one to survive. I walk to work and if I cannot go into Paris on the weekend, my life is not ruined. However, this particular weekend I have been planning on going home for big events (wedding, brother returning home from a mission). I would need to take the train to the airport. So now I write from my chair at the airport where I have been sitting since about 15h45 on Wednesday Oct 17 and will remain here until my flight leaves 14h40 Thursday Oct 18. There are plenty of people here early because of the strike but I am assuming that many will miss their flights. One might think, "well there are other ways to get to the airport", which is true but there are a few problems with this idea. A) Train strikes usually filter into some busses and taxis. 2) If the busses that regularly run to the airport run this weekend I cannot imagine the kind of sardine style of bus ride that will be and D) There will be so much confusion in the city that lots of time will be lost with trying to figure out how to get somewhere. Although unfortunate for those who do miss their flights, that could mean that I can try for an earlier flight and cut some time off of my almost 23 hours of being here. I wish them all very good luck.
So here I sit at 4h21Thrusday Oct 18 counting minutes and people, eating strange tasting cookies and longing to be in the warm Phoenix sun.

1 comment:

kim said...

When I was in Paris a few years ago, they had a strike that lasted most of the time I was there--we got to know the city REALLY well since we had to walk everywhere cause there were no buses, trains, maybe taxis but we were too broke to use them.

Good luck with the trip home!